Monday, January 30, 2012

How do I reveal all the background information in my novel without boring the reader?

I'm writing a novel and I have this story all written out, but before I started writing it I realized I needed a story to explain why everything is the way it is. It's a fantasy story. So I mapped out this entire pre story but now I don't know how to put it into the novel without boring the reader. I don't want to just explain it all and then overwhelm my reader with information either. Any suggestions?How do I reveal all the background information in my novel without boring the reader?There's a method for doing what you want to do in storytelling called weaving. You need to weave the pre story (set up) and the written out part (description) of your story together; also, combine in dialog (conversation) while you weave.How do I reveal all the background information in my novel without boring the reader?One of the skills of a good writer is to capture the reader's imagination with the first sentence and then feed that imagination a little at a time to keep it going. Describe only enough of the pre-story to set the mood and location, but let the reader fill in the details with their own imagination. As your characters unfold their story, you will discover where additional bits of the pre-story will need to be introduced.



Walt Disney made a name for himself with a very simple marketing philosophy: "Have an attraction on every corner to draw the visitor into the park."



Best Regards,

Grandpa Frank

IndianapolisHow do I reveal all the background information in my novel without boring the reader?maybe at the beginning write a prologue and explain the events that lead up to the moment and then in chapter 1 you can just start with your story

No comments:

Post a Comment